Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: friar bird
friarbird (plural friarbirds)
- Any of several species of large Australian honeyeaters in the genus Philemon. [from 18th c.]
- 1985, Peter Carey, Illywhacker, Faber and Faber, published 2003, page 186:
- The friar birds drove their beaks into the sweet white flesh of Bacchus Marsh apples.
- 2002, Alex Miller, Journey to the Stone Country, Allen & Unwin, published 2003, page 55:
- From the sandalwood ridge behind him a friarbird repeated its ardent call again and again, warning off the intruders. Ar-coo! Ar-coo! Ar-coo!
* See also Friarbird#Taxonomy.