Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /frɒθ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /frɔθ/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /frɑθ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒθ, Rhymes: -ɔːθ
- Froth is a very important feature of many types of coffee.
- 1749, John Cleland, Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure, Part 2
- He replaced her again breadthwise on the couch, unable to sit up, with her thighs open, between which I could observe a kind of white liquid, like froth, hanging about the outward lips of that recently opened wound, which now glowed with a deeper red.
- (figuratively) unimportant events or actions; drivel
- It was a long speech, but all froth.
- Thousands of African children die each day: why do the newspapers continue to discuss unnecessary showbiz froth?
unimportant events or actions
- (transitive) To create froth in.
- I like to froth my coffee for ten seconds exactly.
- (intransitive) To bubble.
- The chemical frothed up when I added the acid.
- To spit, vent, or eject, as froth.
- He […] froths treason at his mouth.
- Is your spleen frothed out, or have ye more?
- To cover with froth.
- A horse froths his chain.
To create froth