Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: fúrcula
- (anatomy) A forked process or structure, generally two-pronged.
- (ornithology) The forked bone formed by the fusion of the clavicles in birds, the wishbone or merrythought.
- (entomology) The (two-pronged) forked, somewhat tail-like organ held bent forward and secured by a catch beneath most species of Collembola (springtails), with which they jump by releasing the catch abruptly when alarmed.
forked bone in birds — See also translations at wishbone
- furcula in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- furcula in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
- furcula in Charles du Fresne du Cange’s Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (augmented edition, 1883–1887)
- furcula in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Hachette