- (archaic) singular present subjunctive of gelieven, or (formal) idiomatic construction
- Gelieve zich aan de receptie te melden.
- Kindly report to the reception.
- U gelieve het bij dezen aangehechte formulier in te vullen.
- May we respectfully ask you to complete the form annexed hereto.
The verb gelieven is mostly restricted to the third person singular of the present tense in the subjunctive mood, in which form it is not considered archaic, but rather as a formulaic expression indicating a polite, formal request. It is always accompanied by an infinitive introduced by te. In such constructions, a non-finite clause functions as the subject, the direct object being u (‘you’), which is often elided. Hence, the literal translation of u gelieve X is ‘may it please you to X’.