See also: Gemeinschaft
- An association or group of individuals sharing common beliefs, attitudes, and tastes; a fellowship.
- (sociology) A society or group characterized by a strong sense of common identity, personal relationships, and attachments to various concerns.
- ... saying that bureaucracy was the "old gesellschaft" that went with modernism, while today a "deep Jungian atavism" among young high techies for a clean environment, close family ties, and healthy communities is creating a "new gemeinschaft" that will require a "new gesellschaft". — Morton Kondracke, "Neo-Politics", New Republic, Vol. 205 Issue 22, p18-20, 3p, Nov. 25, 1991
- A consensus has gradually been formed among the people of Taiwan that we are "all in the same boat" and that Taiwan is a gemeinschaft, or community. — "Relations across the Taiwan Strait", Asian Affairs Vol. 26 Issue 2, p93, 7p, Summer, 1999
- Societies may be characterized along a continuum of a G1 (gemeinschaft or rural) to G2 (gesellschaft or urban). — Fredericks, Marcel / Miller, Steven I. / Odiet, Jeff A. / Fredericks, Janet P., "Toward an Understanding of Cellular Sociologoy and Its Relationship to Cellular Biology", Education, Vol. 124 Issue 2, p237-256, Winter, 2003