green about the gills
- (idiomatic) Ill or unwell, especially as indicated by one's appearance.
1899, Arthur Conan Doyle, chapter 6, in A Duet:
- "You're looking rather green about the gills, old chap."
- "I feel a little chippy to-day."
- "That's the worst of these cheap champagnes."
- 2007 Feb. 25, Christopher Elliott, "Strategies to Make More Passengers Maiden Voyagers," New York Times (retrieved 15 Sept 2013):
- Although he boarded his ship with wristbands and pills intended to ward off any possible queasiness, he did not turn green about the gills.