Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪl
grisaille (plural grisailles)
- (art) In painting, a method of working which employs only varying values of gray to create form. Often a preliminary step in a fully colored painting.
1982, Meredith P. Lillich, Studies in Cistercian art and architecture, page 134:
- Very pertinent relationships between these grisailles of the vegetal type and Islamic transennas have been established by Eva Frodl-Kraft, between that of Obazine with palmettes enchâssées, and a transenna from the Umayyad castle of Qasr-el Heir al Gharbi (about 727-750), today reconstructed at the National Museum in Damascus, and with a plaque, probably of Syrian origin, reused over a tomb in San Marco in Venice.
grisaille f (plural grisailles)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “grisaille” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
grisaille f (invariable)