Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: halfbreed
- (derogatory) A person of mixed racial parentage or ancestry, especially one of mixed white and American Indian parentage (metis, métis, Metis, Métis).
- 1921, Kirkconnell, Watson, “Military Annals of Victoria”, in Victoria County Centennial History, Lindsay, Ontario: Watchman-Warder Press, OCLC 58877432, page 186:
- The half-breeds or Metis along the Saskatchewan River asked that they be given a legal title to the land which they occupied. […] The half-breeds found that constitutional agitation was hopeless and began open hostilities.
- A hybrid animal or plant.
- breed (short form for half-breed)
derogatory: person of racially mixed ancestry
- (of a person, derogatory) Having dual heritage; having mixed racial parentage or ancestry.
- (of an animal or plant) Hybridized; having one purebred parent; descended from parents of different breeds or with different traits.
having one purebred parent; hybrid; of mixed racial parentage or ancestry