Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The act or process of writing done with the hand, rather than typed or word-processed.
- The characteristic writing of a particular person.
1895, F. Marion Crawford, Taquisara:
- It was still early in the morning when Elettra brought her a letter, bearing the postmark of the city, and addressed in one of those small, clear handwritings which seem naturally to belong to scholars and students.
1893, Joseph B. Lightfoot, Essays on "Supernatural Religion":
- In some handwritings of the seventh or eighth century, where the letters have a round form, the substitution of OT for EG would be far from difficult.
1914, P. S. Allen, The Age of Erasmus:
- Great libraries are only just beginning to gather up the manuscript minutiae which their books contain; to identify handwritings; to decipher monograms; to collect facts.
- Text that was written by hand.
act or process of writing with the hand
characteristic writing of a particular person
text written by hand