c.1877, originally from cricket, meaning the taking of three wickets with three consecutive balls. Allegedly, a hat trick entitled the bowler to receive a commemorative hat from his club, or alternatively it may have entitled him to pass the hat for a cash collection.
- (cricket) Three wickets taken by a bowler in three consecutive balls.
- (ice hockey, soccer) Three goals scored by one player in a game, in ice hockey usually followed by fans throwing their hats onto the rink.
- After Jones' hat trick, the attendents had to pick up about 75 hats from the ice.
- (sports, by extension) Three achievements in a single game, or similar, such as three consecutive wins.
- A "Gordie Howe hat trick" comprises a goal, an assist, and a fighting major penalty.
- The car salesman came home with front-row seats after turning a hat trick at work.
- (baseball, ironic) Striking out three times in one game.
- Jones got a hat trick yesterday. Let's see if he can do something today.
- (by extension) Three incidents or achievements that occur together.
- 2002, Douglas Heil, Prime Time Authorship: Works About and by Three TV Dramatists, →ISBN:
- And with the debut of his new series Hyperion Bay in 1998, Dougherty accomplished the rare "hat trick" in television: the pilot was written, executive-produced, and codirected by Dougherty.
- 2015, Les Roberts, The Ashtabula Hat Trick: A Milan Jacovich Mystery, →ISBN:
- Three murders in less than two weeks. That's a hat trick.
- 2017, Laura Spinney, Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How it Changed the World, page 1473523923:
- To pull this off, the authority required three things: the ability to identify cases in a timely fashion, and so determine the infection's direction of travel; an understanding of how the disease spread (by water? air? insect vector?), and hence the measures that were likely to block it; and some means of ensuring compliance with those measures. When all three of these ingredients – which we'll describe in more detail in the following sections – were in place, containment could be extremely effective, but a hat-trick was rare.