(Redirected from have a green thumb)
- (US, idiomatic) A natural skill for gardening.
1987, Lyall Watson, The dreams of dragons: riddles of natural history:
- Everyone knows someone who has a "green thumb," who seems to be able to get plants to grow well just by being around, by talking or even playing music...
2003, Barbara Damrosch, The Garden Primer:
- ...they leave gardening to those who presumably have lots of time to read and better yet, have a "green thumb."
2006, Des Kennedy, The Passionate Gardener: Adventures of an Ardent Green Thumb:
- Oh, I'll never have a green thumb, no matter how long I stay at it. Nothing ever seems to work for me. Everything I plant dies.
- (US) A person with this skill.
- I should ask the green thumb next door what she recommends for my droopy daffodils.
- Chiefly used in the form "have a green thumb"
- In UK English the corresponding expression is to describe someone as 'having green fingers' or 'being green-fingered'.
- (skill): green fingers