Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- In a heavy manner.
- She fell heavily into bed.
- He clomped heavily up the stairs in his boots.
- The great clod trod heavily on my toes!
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The departure was not unduly prolonged. […] Within the door Mrs. Spoker hastily imparted to Mrs. Love a few final sentiments on the subject of Divine Intention in the disposition of buckets; […] ; a deep, guttural instigation to the horse; and the wheels of the waggonette crunched heavily away into obscurity.
- With a great weight.
- heavily burdened
- To a considerable degree, to a great extent.
- He relied heavily on the data collected by the others.
- He drank heavily.
- heavily in debt; heavily tattooed
- In a manner designed for heavy duty.
- heavily armed soldiers; heavily armoured tanks; heavily reinforced walls
- So as to be thick or heavy.
- heavily built young men; his heavily muscled arms
- In a laboured manner.
- he breathed heavily
in a heavy manner