Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: high falutin
- hifalutin, hifalutin', hifalutin’, hifaluting
- highfalutin', highfalutin’, highfaluting
- high-falutin, high-falutin', high-falutin’, high-faluting
- high falutin, high falutin', high falutin’, high faluting
- (US, informal) Self-important, pompous; arrogant or egotistical.
- Synonyms: bombast, hoity-toity, pretentious
- It's only a matter of time before some highfalutin developer builds a huge hotel and ruins the scenery.
- That one Cajun that moved to Austin is too highfalutin to come back to Livingston Parish. He's over there with that mean bread lady!
- His speech was very highfalutin.
(informal) self-important, pompous; arrogant or egotistical
- (archaic) Pompous speech or writing.
- 1865, Benn Pitman, The Assassination of President Lincoln: And the Trial of the Conspirators, page 43:
- Don't write so much highfalutin next time.