Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Highlander
highlander (plural highlanders)
- A person who inhabits the Scottish Highlands.
- Any person who lives in mountainous or hilly terrain.
2001, John C. Inscoe, Appalachians and Race, Introduction", page 1:
- He gave credence to the long-standing impression that southern highlanders were as a whole 'a hardy race of European dissenters' of very different stock from other southern colonists…. As backwoodsmen and highlanders, they opposed slavery formally, through abolitionist organizations, newspapers, or institutions of higher education….
2001, John C. Inscoe,, Appalachians and Race, Introduction, page 10:
- Other essayists, however, detect significant distinctions between highlander and lowlander—differences in racial attitudes (abolitionist or rabid racist), in the types of work that African Americans performed, and in the extent to which perceptions of whiteness shaped how outsiders understood the region and acted toward it.
inhabitant of highlands
From the tagline "There can be only one" of the film Highlander (1986).
- (collectible card games, often capitalized) A game format in which players are allowed no more than one of any card (except basic resource cards) in their decks.
1996 October 18, Scott Schultz, “New Tournament Styles”, in rec.games.trading-cards.misc, Usenet, message-ID <3267BF69.1FAA@ceweekly.com>:
- As an example, the "Highlander" tournaments (only one of any particular card) that have been springing up have proven to be a good way to re-energize the tournament scene for some games.