Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Hoff
- Eye dialect spelling of off.
1918, Credo Harris, Where the Souls of Men are Calling:
- "'W'y, chuck 'er, ye blighter!' says I. "'But 'ow farst must Hi count four?' he asks agin, lookin' worrit; 's'pose she goes hoff in me 'and?' he says.
1880, John Habberton, Romance of California Life:
- "I believe in fair play, but I darsn't keep my eyes hoff of 'em sleepy-lookin' tops, when their flippers is anywheres near their knives, you know."
1877, Charles W. Hall, Adrift in the Ice-Fields:
- "'An hungrateful fool, marry an' turn me hoff; ugh, ugh! fix 'im, hany 'ow.'
- court (collective body of persons composing the retinue of a sovereign)
Inflection of hoff
hoff (feminine singular hoff, plural hoff)
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.