From Middle English honysokel, honisokel, honysocle, hunisuccle, perhaps an alteration of Middle English honysoke, honysouke (“honeysuckle”) (whence honeysuck), from Old English huniġsūce, huniġsūge (“honeysuckle”); equivalent to honey + suck + -le, or honeysuck + -le.
- Any of the many species of arching shrubs and climbing vines of the genus Lonicera in the Caprifoliaceae family, many with sweet smelling, bell shaped flowers.
- 1834, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], Francesca Carrara. […], volume I, London: Richard Bentley, […], (successor to Henry Colburn), OCLC 630079698, page 56:
- There was nothing of that luxuriance of blossom which had hitherto clothed the wood, for there were no hawthorns; but the bog-myrtle imparted its tender fragrance, and the caressing honeysuckle wound round many an ancient trunk, odours exhaling from every fairy-like tube—fit trumpets for the heralds of Titania.
- Any of several species of superficially similar plants from Australia
- 1938, Norman Lindsay, Age of Consent, Sydney: Ure Smith, published 1962, OCLC 751607287, page 169:
- Bothered by the conviction of making no impression on her, he pulled up at a strip of road shaded by tall spotted gums, blackbutt, and honeysuckle, and produced a packet of cigarettes. "About time for a smoke-O," he said, "Have a fag, Cora."
- Cape honeysuckle (Tecoma capensis)
- Chinese honeysuckle (Combretum indicum)
- common honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum)
- dwarf honeysuckle
- fly honeysuckle
- French honeysuckle (Hedysarum coronarium)
- goat-leaf honeysuckle (Lonicera caprifolium)
- green honeysuckle (Lambertia rariflora)
- hairy honeysuckle (Helicia ferruginea)
- Himalayan honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa)
- honeysuckle bush (Triunia youngiana)
- honeysuckle oak (Banksia integrifolia)
- Italian honeysuckle (Lonicera caprifolium)
- many-flowered honeysuckle (Lambertia multiflora)
- native honeysuckle (Triunia youngiana)
- New Zealand honeysuckle (Knightia excelsa)
- red honeysuckle (Banksia serrata)
- silvery honeysuckle (Grevillea striata)
- Tartarian honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica)
- white honeysuckle (Banksia integrifolia)