Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From honk-a-tonk (“a cheap nightclub”), possibly imitative
- A bar or nightclub that caters to Southern patrons and provides country music for entertainment.
- (dated) Any cheap nightclub.
- Gimme, gimme, gimme a honky-tonk girl. The Rolling Stones, "Honky-tonk Woman".
- (dated) The type of music typically played in such a club
- A style of country music emphasizing traditional country instruments (e.g., guitar, steel guitar and fiddle); a rough, nasal vocal style; and tragic themes such as heartbreak, infidelity and alcoholism.
- (music) country music