Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
So called because the bell at the open end was sometimes made of horn.
hornpipe (plural hornpipes)
- (music) A musical instrument consisting of a wooden pipe, with holes at intervals.
- A solo dance commonly associated with seamen, involving kicking of the legs, with the arms mostly crossed.
- A hard-shoe solo dance commonly performed in Irish stepdance, usually danced in 2/4 time.
- Music played to the hornpipe dance
- (intransitive) To dance the hornpipe.