Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɔəˈdɜːv/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ɔrˈdɝv/, /ɔrˈdʊv/
Audio (US) (file)
- A small, light, and usually savory first course in a meal.
- (by extension) Anything of secondary concern; not the primary thing.
- (dated, rare) Something unusual or extraordinary.
anything of secondary concern
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- 1920, G. K. Chesterton, The New Jerusalem, Ch. XIII
- It seems quaintest of all when, at some Jewish luncheon parties, a tray of hats is actually handed round, and each guest helps himself to a hat as a sort of hors d'oeuvre.
- 1925, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Chapter III
- On buffet tables, garnished with glistening hors-d’oeuvre, spiced baked hams crowded against salads of harlequin designs and pastry pigs and turkeys bewitched to a dark gold.
Literally, "apart from the work", in other words, "apart from the main meal"
- Nonstandard spelling of hors d'œuvre.