Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Old French hospitalite (French hospitalité), from Latin hospitalitas (“hospitality”), from hospitalis (“hospitable”), from hospes (“guest", "host”). Displaced native Old English giest-líðnys (“guestliness”), from giest (“guest”).
- (General American) IPA(key): /hɑs.pɪˈtæl.ɪ.ti/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /hɒs.pɪˈtæl.ɪ.ti/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ælɪti
- The act or service of welcoming, receiving, hosting, or entertaining guests
- Please thank our hosts for their hospitality during the week that we stayed.
- (business) The business of providing catering, lodging and entertainment service.
act or service of welcoming, receiving, hosting, or entertaining guests
act or service