Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, or arising from hysteria.
- Having, or prone to having hysterics.
- Provoking uncontrollable laughter.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 2, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- She was a fat, round little woman, richly apparelled in velvet and lace, […]; and the way she laughed, cackling like a hen, the way she talked to the waiters and the maid, […]—all these unexpected phenomena impelled one to hysterical mirth, and made one class her with such immortally ludicrous types as Ally Sloper, the Widow Twankey, or Miss Moucher.
- Like many terms that start with a non-silent h but have emphasis on their second syllable, some people precede hysterical with an, others with a.
arising from hysteria
prone to having hysterics