if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Leave something alone; avoid attempting to correct, fix, or improve what is already sufficient (often with an implication that the attempted improvement is risky and might backfire).
- I know it’s an ugly-looking antenna, but it gets the job done, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- don’t change a winning team
- don’t change horses in midstream
- don’t mess with success
- let sleeping dogs lie
leave something alone
- ^ Title of article in Combat Crew magazine, May 1962. https://www.google.com/books/edition/Combat_Crew/2gk-2rP34LIC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22if+it+ain%27t+broke,+don%27t+fix+it%22&pg=RA17-PA15&printsec=frontcover (mention in end-of-year index). A republication of the article in Aerospace Accident and Maintenance magazine, Sept 1962, is available online: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Aerospace_Accident_and_Maintenance_Revie/Hhw8QPtdO1YC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22if+it+ain%27t+broke,+don%27t+fix+it%22&pg=RA8-PP2&printsec=frontcover
- ^ Gary Martin (1997–), “If-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it”, in The Phrase Finder.