Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɜːvi.əs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɝ.vi.əs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)viəs
- Unaffected or unable to be affected by.
The man was completely impervious to the deception we were trying.
- Preventive of any penetration; impenetrable, impermeable, particularly of water.
Although patchworked and sagging, the roof proved impervious to the weather.
- Immune to damage or effect.
The old car seemed to be impervious to the wear and tear of age.
unaffected or unable to be affected by
preventative of any penetration; impenetrable, impermeable
immune to damage or effect