in the first place
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪn ðə ˈfɜːst pleɪs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪn ðə ˈfɜ˞st pleɪs/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /ɪn ðə ˈfɜːst plæɪs/
Audio (AU) (file)
- (sequence, idiomatic) to begin with; earlier; firstly; originally; at the start,
- The question is not whether I still enjoy the job, when I never enjoyed it in the first place.
- In the first place, let's get the basics settled.
- (idiomatic) at all, even (typically in non-negated statements)
- Why does this exist in the first place?
- (at the start): See also Thesaurus:initially
- (first in sequence): See also Thesaurus:firstly
to begin with