Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈdjuː.bɪ.tə.bli/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪnˈdu.bɪ.tə.bli/
Audio (US) (file)
- In a manner that leaves no possibility of doubt; undoubtedly.
- 1871, Thomas Hardy, chapter 18, in Desperate Remedies:
- Now his first suspicion was indubitably confirmed.
- 1907, William James, Pragmatism: A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking:
Currently particularly used as a humorous interjection, particularly in American English, and seen as somewhat affected, if not outright haughty or campy. Compare this use by comedy cartoon Goofy Gophers (US, 1947–65).
- undoubtably, undoubtedly, unquestionably, doubtlessly, assuredly, certainly, sure thing, without a doubt