Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To examine critically or carefully; especially, to search out problems or determine condition; to scrutinize.
- Inspect the system for leaks.
- To view and examine officially.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 6, in The China Governess:
- ‘[…] I remember a lady coming to inspect St. Mary's Home where I was brought up and seeing us all in our lovely Elizabethan uniforms we were so proud of, and bursting into tears all over us because “it was wicked to dress us like charity children”. […]’.
- The general inspected the troops and their barracks.
examine critically, scrutinize
view and examine officially