Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The dried rhizome and roots of either of two tropical American plants (Cephaelis acuminata and Cephaelis ipecacuanha) of the madder family used especially as a source of emetine.
- (pharmacology) An emetic and expectorant drug that contains emetine and is prepared from ipecac especially as a syrup for use in treating accidental poisoning.
- Synonym: syrup of ipecac
- (botany) The shrub that produces ipecac (Cephaelis ipecacuanha), native to Brazil and cultivated elsewhere.
- “ipecacuanha”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- “ipecac” in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.