Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
jointure (plural jointures)
- (obsolete) A joining; a joint.
- (law) An estate settled on a wife, which she is to enjoy after her husband's death, for her own life at least, in satisfaction of dower.
- The jointure that your king must make, / Which with her dowry shall be counterpoised.
- 1633, John Donne, Confined Love
- Beasts do no jointures lose
- Though they new lovers choose;
- But we are made worse than those.
- (transitive) To settle a jointure upon.
jointure f (plural jointures)
- (anatomy) joint