Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkjuːdɒs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkuː.doʊz/, /ˈkuː.doʊs/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Praise; accolades.
- The talented, young playwright received much kudos for his new drama.
- 2011 Allen Gregory, "1 Night in Gottlieb" (season 1, episode 2):
- Allen Gregory DeLongpre: Pat, I gotta tell you, you did a lot of things right with this lunch―kudos. You got back quickly, you showed initiative, and, best of all, you left plenty of room for improvement.
- 2014, Tim Carvell [et al.], “The Lottery”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 1, episode 24, John Oliver (actor), Warner Bros. Television, via HBO:
- And… and to that… to that Turkish horse, I say this, “You should not step on people’s balls, but, in this solitary instance, kudos, horse, kudos.”
- Credit for one's achievements.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- Meanwhile Nanny Broome was recovering from her initial panic and seemed anxious to make up for any kudos she might have lost, by exerting her personality to the utmost. She took the policeman's helmet and placed it on a chair, and unfolded his tunic to shake it and fold it up again for him.
- The noun kudos was originally a mass noun, but in American English is now sometimes treated as a plural noun, either as a plurale tantum, or as the plural of a new noun kudo, contrary to the original Greek κῦδος (kûdos), which is a singular noun. The American pronunciation implies this plural usage, which many authorities nevertheless consider erroneous.
credit for one's achievements
- (informal) To give praise or accolades.
- 2018, Margaret Edds, We Face the Dawn:
- You know and I know that Dr. Tinsley likes a bit of kudosing every now and then. I think it would be well if we seriously considered some kind of honorable mention for him at the Conference.
- (textiles) fabric, texture (texture of a cloth)
- fabric (framework underlying a structure)
- Synonym: rakenne
- maailmankaikkeuden kudos ― the fabric of the universe
- (art) texture (quality given to a work of art by the composition and interaction of its parts)
- Synonym: rakenne
- sävellyksen polyfoninen kudos ― the polyphonic texture of the composition
- (biology) tissue (group of similar cells that function together to do a specific job)
|Inflection of kudos (Kotus type 39/vastaus, no gradation)|
|comitative||See the possessive forms below.|