Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Landau
Named after the German city of Landau, where such carriages were first made. Compare German Landauer.
landau (plural landaus)
- A type of lightweight, four-wheeled carriage in which the front and back passenger seats face each other.
- 1848 November – 1850 December, William Makepeace Thackeray, chapter 37, in The History of Pendennis. […], volume (please specify |volume=I or II), London: Bradbury and Evans, […], published 1849–1850, →OCLC:
- Indeed, as the two gentlemen reached the door, a landau drove up, a magnificent yellow carriage, lined with brocade or satin of a faint cream colour, drawn by wonderful grey horses, with flaming ribbons, and harness blazing all over with crests: no less than three of these heraldic emblems surmounted the coats-of-arms on the panels, and these shields contained a prodigious number of quarterings, betokening the antiquity and splendour of the house of Clavering and Snell.
- 1882, Thomas Hardy, chapter I, in Two on a Tower. A Romance. [...] In Three Volumes, volume I, London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, […], →OCLC, page 1:
- On an early winter afternoon, clear but not cold, when the vegetable world was a weird multitude of skeletons through whose ribs the sun shone freely, a gleaming landau came to a pause on the crest of a hill in Wessex.
- 1891 June 25, A[rthur] Conan Doyle, “Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Adventure I.—A Scandal in Bohemia.”, in Geo[rge] Newnes, editor, The Strand Magazine: An Illustrated Monthly, volume II, London: George Newnes, Limited, […], published July 1891, →OCLC, page 68, column 2:
- Away they went, and I was just wondering whether I should not do well to follow them, when up the lane came a neat little landau, the coachman with his coat only half buttoned, and his tie under his ear, while all the tags of his harness were sticking out of the buckles.
- (by extension) A style of automobile based around the design of landau carriages.
landau m (plural landaus)
- pram, baby carriage
- Coordinate term: poussette
- landau (carriage)
- Hypernym: hippomobile
- → Spanish: landó
- “landau”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- landau (voiture d'enfant) on the French Wikipedia.Wikipedia fr
- landau (hippomobile) on the French Wikipedia.Wikipedia fr
- English terms derived from German
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/aʊ/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- French 2-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French masculine nouns
- French nouns with plural in -aus