From Latin legionarius
legionary (not comparable)
- Relating to, or consisting of a legion or legions.
- A legionary force
- Containing a great number.
legionary (plural legionaries)
- (military, Ancient Rome) A soldier belonging to a legion; a professional soldier of the ancient Roman army.
- A member of a legion, such as the American Legion, or of any organization containing the term legion in its title (e.g. the French Foreign Legion).
- (member of a Legion organisation): legionnaire
- (soldier of the Ancient Roman legion): centurion
member of a legion