Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (British, Canadian, Australian, Irish, South African and New Zealand English) licence (noun)
- A legal document giving official permission to do something; a permit.
- 1970, Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 2, episode 10:
- Hello. I would like to buy a fish licence please.
- The legal terms under which a person is allowed to use a product, especially software.
- 1986, Thomas Smedinghoff, The Legal Guide to Developing, Protecting, and Marketing Software, page 166:
- Thus, while the license will grant the user the right to use the software, a major concern is the scope of that use. For example, will the user be granted the right to copy, modify, or transfer the software?
- Freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behaviour or speech).
- 2012, Chris Seepe, The Conspiracy to Assassinate Jesus Christ, page 5:
- In some instances, the author took license to include events which never happened, or to purposely create events which may run in the face of popular conjecture if the author felt it would help the story along.
- Excessive freedom; lack of due restraint.
- Short for .
- In order to enter the building, I need to show my license.
- In British English, Canadian English, Australian English, Irish English, South African English and New Zealand English the noun is spelt licence and the verb is license.
- The spelling licence is not used for either part of speech in the United States.
- artistic license
- bare license
- beginner's license
- BSD license
- clickwrap license
- crayon license
- driver's license
- end user license agreement
- high license
- learner's license
- license plate
- license to print money
- MIT license
- naked license
- perpetual license
- poetic license
- provisional license
- shrink-wrap license
- shrinkwrap license
legal document giving official permission to do something
legal terms of product usage
freedom to deviate from rules
- To give a formal (usually written) authorization.
- It was decided to license Wikipedia under the GFDL.
- Authorize officially.
- I am licensed to practice law in this state.
- license in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- license in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- Licence in the Encyclopædia Britannica (11th edition, 1911)