Jump to navigation Jump to search
limão m (plural limões)
- lemon (citrus fruit)
- Synonym: limão-siciliano
- (Brazil) lime (citrus fruit)
- Synonym: lima
- (Southern Brazil) lemandarin, rangpur
- In Brazil, unless otherwise specified, the variants key lime (Citrus × latifolia) and persian lime (Citrus × aurantiifolia) are assumed. In southern regions, lemandarin (Citrus × limonia) may be assumed as well.
- Brazilians also consider a lemon (Citrus limon) to be a limão, but of a very specific kind. Therefore, it won't come their mind at first, if not enough context is given.
- Non-Brazilians will enthusiastically refuse to call a lime a limão.
- Consider using the synonym limão-siciliano to unambiguously refer to a lemon across the Portuguese-speaking world. Use lima, for a lime.