Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (informal) To explain (something) condescendingly (to a female listener), especially to explain something the listener already knows, presuming that she has an inferior understanding of it because she is a woman.
2011 February 1, Linkins, Jason, “What's Behind The Drive To Redefine Rape In New And Insane Ways?”, The Huffington Post:
- But what's getting all of the attention in the bill is the part where legislators have banded together to mansplain the various shadings of the crime of "rape" to America.
- 2015 February 27, Robin James, Resilience & Melancholy: Pop Music, Feminism, Neoliberalism, Zero Books (2015), ISBN 9781782794615, unnumbered page
- Positioning himself as the white guy mansplaining to a black woman what's best for her, The New York Time's John Caramanica argues that Rihanna's attempt, on the album, "to make public art with the person who physically abused you is immature, pre-feminist, post-ethics."
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:mansplain.