- An emblematic object or personal ornament, such as a skull, used as a reminder of one's mortality.
1995, Klein, Richard, “Introduction”, in Cigarettes are sublime, Paperback edition, Durham: Duke University Press, published 1993, ISBN 0-8223-1641-2, OCLC 613939086, page 8:
- The series of moments [which] the clock records is not only a succession of “nows” but a memento mori diminishing the number of seconds that remain before death.
Borrowed from Latin mementō morī.
memento mori n
- memento mori (reminder of mortality)
- (literally) Be mindful of dying.
- (idiomatic) Do not forget that you are only human.