Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Mesquite
mesquite (plural mesquites)
- Any of several deciduous trees of the genus Prosopis found in North America, and used as forage, which have long, beige seed/bean pods which may be dried and ground into a sweet, nutty flour.
1909, Volney Morgan Spalding, Distribution and movements of desert plants:
- […] and no botanist could for a moment fail to recognize this fact, especially as just beyond its banks there is growing on every hand the mesquite, the everywhere-present species of the Lower Sonoran zone.
- The wood of these trees, used for smoking food, or charcoal made from this wood.
- Country or land dominated by mesquite trees.
1900, David Prescott Barrows, The ethno-botany of the Coahuilla Indians of Southern California:
- Southward and in the very center of the plain is La Mesa, hidden in the mesquite and with splendid, typically dug, wells.
Terms derived from mesquite
mesquite f (plural mesquites)
mesquite m (plural mesquites)
- (Mexico) Alternative spelling of