- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: mōn, IPA(key): /məʊn/
- (US) enPR: mōn, IPA(key): /moʊn/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊn
- Homophone: mown
moan (plural moans)
- a low, mournful cry of pain, sorrow or pleasure
- let out a deep moan
- We heard the distant moan of a stag in pain.
- (transitive, now rare) To complain about; to bemoan, to bewail; to mourn. [from 13th c.]
- 1708, Matthew Prior, the Turtle and the Sparrow
- Ye floods, ye woods, ye echoes, moan / My dear Columbo, dead and gone.
- (intransitive, now chiefly poetic) To grieve. [from 14th c.]
- (intransitive) To make a moan or similar sound. [from 18th c.]
- She moaned with pleasure and squirmed with delight from receiving oral sex.
- (transitive) To say in a moan, or with a moaning voice. [from 19th c.]
- ‘Please don't leave me,’ he moaned.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To complain; to grumble. [from 20th c.]
- (transitive, obsolete) To distress (someone); to sadden. [15th–17th c.]
- See also Thesaurus:complain
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- “moan”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “moan”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
From Middle Breton moen, from Old Breton moin, from Proto-Brythonic *muɨn (“beautiful”). Compare Welsh mwyn (“mild, gentle”)), Irish maoin (“property, riches”)), Latin mūnis (“obliging”), Old English mǣne (“common”)).
- Alternative form of
- 1927, “ZONG OF TWI MAARKEET MOANS”, in THE ANCIENT DIALECT OF THE BARONIES OF FORTH AND BARGY, COUNTY WEXFORD, page 129, line 1:
- A moan vrim a Bearlough an anoor vrim a Baak,
- A woman from the Bearlough and another from the Beak,
- 1927, “LAMENT OF A WIDOW”, in THE ANCIENT DIALECT OF THE BARONIES OF FORTH AND BARGY, COUNTY WEXFORD, page 130, line 1:
- Ochone! to fo shul Ich maak mee moan,
- Ochone, to whom shall I make my moan,
- Kathleen A. Browne (1927) The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland Sixth Series, Vol.17 No.2, Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland