Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
momentarily (not comparable)
- In a momentary manner; for a moment or instant.
- (US) In a moment or very soon; at any moment.
- “This plane will be landing at Idlewild Airport momentarily.”
- Progressively; moment by moment.
In a momentary manner
In a moment or very soon
progressively; moment by moment
- Many speakers object to the use of momentarily in the sense of “in a moment” rather than “for a moment”, since this is inconsistent with the meaning of momentary; nonetheless, this use is quite common in North America, and is particularly associated with airlines, such as “we will be landing momentarily”. In place of momentarily, many speakers prefer the terms presently, soon or the phrase “in a moment”, for this sense of “in a moment”.