Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: newsticker
- A device, used primarily in the 20th century, which printed out incoming news stories on paper tape.
1929, Alliston Cragg, Understanding the stock market: a handbook for the investor:
- Supplementing the quotation tickers are the news tickers. These operate on the same principle as the former, but print current news having stock market value on a band of paper about six inches wide.
- Any device for displaying incoming news stories.
- My new cell phone has a news ticker feature.
- A line of text that moves across the lower part of a television screen or monitor, showing the latest news.
- (line of text on screen): news crawl