no shit, Sherlock
An expression of amazement followed by comparing the interlocutor to the detective Sherlock Holmes, as if they have just made a great deduction. This expression is, however, used sarcastically, to point out that the interlocutor merely stated the obvious.
- (vulgar, colloquial, sarcastic, somewhat derogatory) A riposte to someone who has just said something obvious
- 1976, Emmett Grogan, Final Score, page 264:
- "No shit, Sherlock. Take another look, see how they come to be bent."
- 2006, Barry Morgan, Never Tell Them You're Dying, page 127:
- My copilot uttered, "I think we are headed for the bridge." No shit, Sherlock.
- Captain Obvious
- does a bear shit in the woods?
- is the Pope Catholic?
- no shit
- what was your first clue?
- Said in reply to an obvious statement.