Jump to navigation Jump to search
nominotypical (not comparable)
- (zoology, botany) Of a subspecies, nominate, having a name which repeats the species name, designating that it represents the originally described population.
- Motacilla alba alba is the nominotypical subspecies of the white wagtail (Motacilla alba).
- (zoology, botany) Of a subgenus or other infrageneric taxa, having a name which repeats the genus name, indicating that it includes the type species. For older botanical subgeneric and sectional names, it is sometimes prefixed with Eu-.
- 2002, Ross H. Arnett, JR, Michael C. Thomas, Paul E. Skelley, J. Howard Frank, American Beetles, Volume II, page 646:
- Four species of the nominotypical subgenus are positively recorded from America north of Mexico... [referring to Physonota (Physonota) arizonae and three other species]