Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) The state of being normal; the fact of being normal; normality.
- 1981, William Irwin Thompson, The Time Falling Bodies Take to Light: Mythology, Sexuality and the Origins of Culture, London: Rider/Hutchinson & Co., page 193:
- The homosexual dismisses heterosexual love as a distasteful bondage to normalcy and bourgeois domestication, but the Platonic lover of the soul is dismissing all sexuality as bondage to the physical world.
- c.1998: Jeffery Veen, The Art & Science of Web Design
- Designers can create normalcy out of chaos; they can clearly communicate ideas through the organizing and manipulating of words and pictures.
Although sometimes used, normalcy is less common than normality in American English. It is very rarely used in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. It is frequent in India and Zimbabwe however.
state of being normal
- Merriam-Webster Online