Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Notation
notation (countable and uncountable, plural notations)
- (uncountable) The act, process, method, or an instance of representing by a system or set of marks, signs, figures, or characters.
- (uncountable) A system of characters, symbols, or abbreviated expressions used in an art or science or in mathematics or logic to express technical facts or quantities.
- 2018, James Lambert, “Anglo-Indian slang in dictionaries on historical principles”, in World Englishes, volume 37, page 255:
- Finally, using Devanagari, and native scripts more generally, has the benefit of elevating indigenous scripts and languages within the context of English-language lexicography, rather than foregrounding, or purely relying on, western linguistic notations which cater solely to a monolingual English audience.
- This section lists all algebraic notation used in this book. (Using notations would be incorrect).
- The notations used in the two books differed. (Using notation would be incorrect).
- (countable) A specific note or piece of information written in such a notation.
- She made a notation in the margin of the book.
- abuse of notation
- algebraic notation
- big O notation
- bracket notation
- caret notation
- de Bruijn notation
- delta notation
- dental notation
- dot notation
- Einstein notation
- Hungarian notation
- infix notation
- k-adic notation
- Kendall's notation
- musical notation (or music notation)
- Polish notation
- positional notation
- postfix notation
- prefix notation
- reverse Polish notation
- scientific notation
- set-builder notation
- sign-value notation
- siteswap notation
- square notation
- Stokoe notation
- Whyte notation
act or process of representing by a system or set of marks, signs, figures or characters
system of characters, symbols or abbreviated expressions used to express technical facts or quantities
specific note or piece of information written in such a notation
notation f (plural notations)
- rating (evaluation of status)
- → Polish: notacja
- “notation”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- English terms borrowed from Latin
- English terms derived from Latin
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/eɪʃən/3 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- en:Systems theory
- French terms derived from Latin
- French 3-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French feminine nouns