- The envisaged result of a nuclear war or nuclear accident, especially one involving widespread destruction of life and the environment.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) The possibility of complete annihilation of human civilization by nuclear war.
- “Iran’s pursuit of technology that could lead to nuclear weapons threatens to put a region already known for instability and violence under the shadow of a nuclear holocaust."...President George W. Bush in August 2007
- "At worst, fanatical tyrants who know that the future is against them may end their present course on their terms: a nuclear holocaust."...Reza Pahlavi on June 22, 2009
- Armageddon, apocalypse, catastrophe, disaster, end of the world, mutual assured destruction, World War III
widespread catastrophe due to nuclear war or accident
- ^ New Shorter Oxford Dictionary, January 1997, Electronic Version 1.0.03.
- ^ Times Online. (2007). Bush raises the stakes over Iran bomb with warning of 'holocaust'
- ^ AFP: Police fire tear gas as Iran protesters defy Guards warning
- Nuclear Holocausts: Atomic War in Fiction, By Paul Brians, Professor of English, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington