Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɒfɪsə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɔfɪsɚ/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈɑfɪsɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: of‧fi‧cer
officer (plural officers)
- One who holds a public office.
- An agent or servant imparted with the ability, to some degree, to act on initiative.
- (colloquial, military) A commissioned officer.
one who holds a public office
agent or servant endowed with the ability to act on initiative
contraction of the term "commissioned officer"
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
to command like an officer