An abbreviation of OggSquish, a 1993 suggestion by Michael Whitsun to replace the original name (Squish) which was trademarked. Ogg was jargon from the computer game Netrek meaning roughly: to put all your resources into an attack to ensure its success, regardless of any negative consequences on the rest of the game. Allegedly "ogg" is a corruption of Og, the screen-name of the player who first played the game this way.
- (file format) An open bitstream container file format for audio, video, and other multimedia content.
- A surname.
- An unincorporated community in Randall County, Texas, United States.
- ^ “Archived copy”, in (please provide the title of the work), accessed 14 February 2009, archived from the original on 27 February 2012
- ^ http://www.netrek.org/about/akira-history-of-ogg.php
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130203234214/http://www.xiph.org/ogg/ – official website