Jump to navigation Jump to search
optant (plural optants)
- A person who lives in an region undergoing a change of sovereignty and thus may choose between retaining their old citizenship or opting for the citizenship of the new sovereignty.
- 1914, W. R. Prior, Oxford Pamphlets: North Sleswick under Prussian Rule, London: Oxford University Press, page 9:
- According to one authority, nearly 40,000 of the Sleswick Danes had become 'optants'—that is, had taken the 'option' of Danish nationality—or had emigrated, by the end of 1880.
- A person who opts into, out of, or for something.
- present participle of optar