oscitation (plural oscitations)
- The act of yawning or gaping. Also figuratively.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Addison to this entry?)
1547, A. Borde, Bill Long, editor, Breuiary of Helthe, published 2006:
- Ossitacio is the latyn worde..In englysh it is named ossitacion yeanynge or gapynge.
- (obsolete) The condition of being listless, drowsy, negligent, or inattentive; an occurrence of such negligence or inattention.
1744, “Letters of Mrs. Carter and Miss Talbot”, in The Eclectic review, volume 4, London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, published 1808, page 980:
- These transient fits of oscitation, and inactivity, are perhaps no more than a necessary relaxation to the mind, and serve to quicken its faculties to a more lively sensation of returning pleasure.