Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Complete, utter.
- He is an out-and-out idiot.
- out-and-out lie
- (animal husbandry) thoroughly cross-bred; a breeding strategy esp. with poultry where new roosters are circulated yearly to maintain a mongrel flock.
- For my own part I would sooner eat bread-and-cheese and know myself the possessor of an out-and-out horse, than sell him for the privilege of dining with the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen every day in the year.
- 1840, The Sporting Magazine, May 1840, Vol XXI Second Series