Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈaʊtwɚdz/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈaʊtwədz/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (New Zealand) IPA(key): /ˈæotwɘdz/
- From the interior toward the exterior; in an outward direction.
- 1704, I[saac] N[ewton], “(please specify |book=1 to 3)”, in Opticks: Or, A Treatise of the Reflexions, Refractions, Inflexions and Colours of Light. […], London: […] Sam[uel] Smith, and Benj[amin] Walford, printers to the Royal Society, […], OCLC 1118497469:
- Light falling on them is not reflected outwards.
- (obsolete) Outwardly; (merely) on the surface.
- 1526, [William Tyndale, transl.], The Newe Testamẽt […] (Tyndale Bible), [Worms, Germany: Peter Schöffer], OCLC 762018299, Matthew ]:
- Wo be to you scrybes, and pharises ypocrites, for ye are lyke unto paynted tombes which appere beautyfull outwardes: but are within full off deed mens bones and of all fylthynes.
- Alternative form of